Famous Hog Island Oyster Co. BBQ Chipotle Bourbon Butter
By Hog Island Oyster Co.
Recipe invented, tweaked ….and perfected by former Hog Island Oyster Farm Retail Manager, Garret Hamner. Friends line up for these smokey, sweet, slightly spicy and insanely delicious oysters.
- 1/2 lb (two sticks) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/8 cup bourbon
- 1/3 cup peeled garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ½ of a 10-oz can of chipotle chilies in adobo sauce, chopped
- 18 large oysters (freshly shucked on the half shell)
- In a medium bowl, dissolve the brown sugar into the bourbon.
- Add all other ingredients (except the oysters) to the brown sugar/bourbon mixture (You can use a food processor if desired).
- Set down a piece of parchment paper, and pile butter along the center, working to form a ‘log’. Wrap butter, folding into a log-shape, and refrigerate for at least an hour. The finished roll should be the dimension of a cube of butter, only longer (about a ½ foot).
NOTE: While the butter log makes for ease of use when cooking, storing the butter in the mixing bowl and scooping it out by the spoonful is just as effective.
When ready to BBQ, fire up your grill to medium-hot. Shuck the oysters and remove butter from the fridge, cut butter into thin pats, about 1/4 inch. Place a pat of butter on each shucked oyster and place the oysters on the grill. Open a cold one and wait for the butter to melt and start to bubble. Watch the oysters sizzle, for about one minute, while enjoying the party. Once the oysters and butter have bubbled remove them from the grill. Let cool for a brief moment and enjoy!